If you are looking for a scanner that is seriously portable, you may as well say you are looking for the Doxie Go Wi-Fi – Scanner. The advantage of this scanner is that it does not require you to be connected to a computer in order to scan your photographs or other important documents.
To power the machine, you need a battery. It comes with integrated Wi-Fi. It has a built in Dixie, Mac, PC, iPhone, and iPad applications. Apart from being simple, the machine is fast. You can scan full-color pages at up to 600 dpi in just 10 seconds.
If you want to know how portable this machine is, you just need to know that it is the size of a rolled up magazine. Do not be fooled by the size of the machine, it can store up to 1800 pages or 7200 photos before you need to synch. If you need any additional storage, it comes with a slot where you can insert an SD card.
The makers of this product promise that you will be scanning in less than one minute of getting the machine out of its box because everything you need is inside the box. It’s simple to set up the scanner; after plugging the machine in, turn it on and put the document you want to scan into the scanner.
Apart from being small, compact and easy to use, the Doxie Go Wi-Fi – Scanner has other features that make it one of the best machines you can get in this class.
- Designed to operate using a battery
- Connects to Wi-Fi
- Allows you to send the scanned documents to a Mac, PC, iPad, or iPhone in a matter of minutes
- Built-in smart memory allows you to scan up to 300 scans on a single charge
- Stores a total of 1800 scans before you need to synch
- Equipped with Doxie applications for Mac
- Works with Dropbox, Evernote, and OneNote
- Product dimensions are 10.5 x 2.2 x 1.7 inches
- Weighs 15.4 ounces
- Holds 8 pages at a time
- Has a built in one port macro-SD
- Scans documents very fast when you compare it to a flatbed scanner
- Produces images of high quality so that every photo you decide to print will not lose its quality along the way
- Gives you the option to use either 300 dpi or 600 dpi, giving you the same quality as you would get from a flatbed scanner but doing the job in 25% of the time
- While the scanner is easy when you are scanning photos in, it is a bit complicated when you want to import the photos, you will need to open the software in order for you to do so as the import button does not complete the process
- Takes 32GB maximum SD card but you will not know this until you try, they should consider putting a sticker somewhere with this information
The Doxie Go Wi-Fi – Scanner will change your mind about what a scanner can do. Its size allows you to scan from anywhere whether you are at home, in the office or on the go. The Wi-Fi feature allows you to send the documents you have scanned wirelessly to all your compatible devices.
If you look at its size, you will have an idea why the makers of this machine call it seriously portable. After charging it, you can scan as many as 300 documents. Before you need to sync, you can store up to 1800 scans.
After the box with your scanner has arrived, you will be ready to go as soon as you take it out. It does not require you to have a computer. Setting it up is not a complicated process. All you need to do is to plug it on to the power source, find the on button and get going.
The iOS desktop applications are intuitive and allow you to instantly send the documents you scan to your Apple devices. It does not matter which device you are using, the patented Auto Adjust crops the documents for each device. The technology also de-skews documents and applies auto contrast so that every scan has the right detail and quality.
We looked at a few other products in the market that you can compare the Doxie Go Wi-Fi – Scanner to and the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i Mobile Document Scanner is one of them. If you look at the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i you will see why it is the product for those who are looking for a portable solution.
The Doxie Go is still portable but a little bigger in size. The two scanners come in just about the same price range. It takes 2 more pages in the feeder than the Doxie Go. It is equipped with a feature that automatically detects the size of the paper you have just fed. It also detects the color. Just like the Doxie Go Wi-Fi, it has a feature that will automatically crop your documents and delegate blank pages.
If you are working within a tight budget, another product you can look at is the Brother DS-620 Mobile Color Page Scanner. It weighs just under 1 pound making it ideal for someone who wants to use the scanner in different settings.
This machine comes with the Nuance PaperPort 12 SE (Windows) and Presto! PageManager 9 (Mac). This allows you to manage all the documents you scan and any other documents you have on your computer. Of course, if you are buying this one, you will see from its price that it is not as good as the Doxie Go Wi-Fi. For example, it does not connect to Wi-Fi.
One of the reasons why we recommend the Doxie Go Wi-Fi scanner is that it can connect to the internet which makes sending documents to other devices a breeze. It takes away the need to first transfer the documents to an SD storage device and then taking some time to load them onto storage solutions such as DropBox.
However, if you are not looking for all the sophistication and are just looking for a machine to simply scan, you can go with something cheaper like the Brother DS-620.