Taking photos is a great way to preserve memories that we share with our friends and loved ones. It is one way of immortalizing unforgettable events and occasions that have happened in our lives. You can have them printed out and framed to be displayed on the wall or organize them in a scrapbook or family albums.
Aside from printing, one way to keep your photos safe is to digitize and store them in an online storage. To do that for your older photos which you do not have a soft copy anymore, you can use a scanner and below are some of the best photo scanners for home use.
Canon CanoScan 9000F MKII Color Image Scanner
- The CanoScan 9000F is one of Canon’s latest high-end flatbed scanner for consumers. It has a superb scanning resolution with a combination of 9600 x 9600 maximum color resolution and a vivid 48-bit color depth, plus 281 trillion plus possible colors.
- It uses the software My Image Garden, which makes it easy to organize and print your photos. The software has facial recognition, fun filters, calendar organization, automatic layout suggestions and more.
- It has seven EZ buttons which can automate the entire process of scanning your photos. With these understandable buttons, you can copy, scan, and even create mail attachments or PDF files.
- It has an Auto Scan Mode, which can complete the entire process with just one push of a button.
- You can also make old photos look new with its special film scanning guide frame and Film Adapter Unit, which can scan one film strip at a time at a maximum of 9600 color dpi.
- It also features an Auto Document Fix which can give you beautiful results by using advanced image analysis and automatic area by area data correction.
- It also has a built in retouching technology, which can also remove dust and scratches while also restoring its color. It can also remove shadows usually seen when scanning a page from a book.
- You can also use Evernote to quickly scan documents and papers from your printer or scanner and easily search them anytime using any device.
- It has USB0 Hi-Speed which can scan and transfer images to your computer fast.
- It can work immediately upon turning it on as it does not need any warm-up time, thanks to its LED light source.
- It is compatible with most computer softwares such as Windows and Mac.
- Setting it up is very easy.
- The scan quality was excellent.
- The software can be a bit complicated and there are no available tutorials online.
- Installation can be long and tedious if it will be used on a Mac. Sometimes, it will even appear to be incompatible.
The Canon CanoScan 9000F MKII Color Image Scanner is a great recommendation for home users who are looking for a high-end scanner with great quality output. However, you might need to check first if you are also a Mac user to avoid experiencing any problems with the software installation.
Canon CanoScan LiDE220 Photo and Document Scanner
- It has an excellent resolution with a 4800 x 4800 dpi maximum optical color resolution, 48-bit color depth with over 281 trillion possible colors, and 19,200 x 19,200 (interpolated) software enhanced scans. With these specifications, you can be assured of a great quality output.
- You can scan a colored letter size image or document in approximately 10 seconds.
- It has five EZ buttons which will enable you to scan, copy, send to Cloud, or create PDF files faster.
- It has an auto document fix which automatically corrects areas that need to be fixed to make it more beautiful and easier to view.
- It also automatically recognizes the type of original, and then scan and save it with just one click.
- It has an Advanced Z-Lid Expansion Top which lifts approximately one inch to scan large items such as thick documents and books.
- Connectivity is great as you can send your scans to Evernote or Dropbox with just a single button or use Hi-Speed USB for your data transfers.
- It produces high quality scans while also enhancing the image by restoring color and removing dusts.
- It has advanced features but still very easy to use and easy to set up too.
- Excellent scanner at a great price.
- Scanner itself works great but there are occasional errors with the USB connection stating that it has been disconnected.
- There is no photo editor and has extremely limited software.
The Canon CanoScan LiDE220 Photo and Document Scanner might be a great choice for users who only need to scan printed photos and documents. It may not be the best in scanning film and may not be recommended for those who plan to use it for occasional photo editing.
Doxie Flip – Cordless Flatbed Photo & Notebook Scanner w/ Removable Lid
- It is light and portable with batteries and memory so you can scan anywhere you like. You do not even need a computer to do it because of the built-in memory. It is just about the size of a book so carrying it with you will not be too much to bear.
- It is cordless and battery powered with a 4 x 6 inch scanner and 300/600 dpi.
- It is very easy to use as you only need to turn it on and push the green button without having to connect it to a computer or use any kind of cable.
- It has a color display with on-screen settings and image preview.
- It has a unique and detachable lid which offers two ways to scan, protecting the original image or document.
- It has an AutoStitch feature which can seamlessly merge large and overlapping scans together.
- It has a Doxie application which optimizes scans, saves, and sends to the Cloud.
- It is a standalone device so there is no need to bring messy cables everywhere you go.
- The battery life lasts for about 200 scans.
- Great for scanning photos and smaller items such as stamps, coins, index cards, sketches, and even pocket notebooks.
- Works well with PC, Mac, and iOS.
- It has a low resolution, which affects the quality of the printout.
- Good scanner, but has limited usefulness because of its size.
The Doxie Flip – Cordless Flatbed Photo & Notebook Scanner w/ Removable Lid is a good choice for those who are looking for a compact and convenient cordless scanner. It is also affordable so it can work for students and those who only need to use it occasionally.
Looking for the best photo scanners for home use can be fun and easy as you will get to see a lot of models available in the market today. It would help to know your budget and the specific features that you are looking for so that you can narrow down your list to only a few options.