From telephones to computers, everything is getting smaller, multi-functional, and more powerful. One of those gadgets that now have compact versions is the good old document and image scanner such is the MSRM iScan Wand portable document & image scanner that makes research work and documentation faster and more eco-friendly.
Compared to sheet-fed portable scanners, wand scanners allow you flexibility in terms of the materials you could work on. With the former, you are limited to photos, receipts, documents, and plastic cards of a certain thickness.
On the other hand, wand scanners can handle those plus more, including pages on a thick book, fabric, and a poster hung on a wall.
But how does the MSRM iScan Wand Portable Document & Image Scanner measure against the standards of today’s portable gadgets or even with just portable scanners of its class? Let’s take a look.
The MSRM iScan Wand Portable Document & Image Scanner:
- Scans plastic cards, photos, receipts, and documents up to 8.5 inches wide and 14 inches long
- Features auto-correction tools for punch holes, shadowy texts, and skewed images
- Stores black and white or colored scans as PDF or JPEG
- Saves in standard, medium, and high-resolution quality. They measure 300 x 300 dpi, 600 x 600 dpi, and 900 x 900 dpi, respectively.
- Sends files to a computer, either PC or Mac
- Requires a Micro SD card up to 32GB
- Comes with an Optical Character Recognition or OCR software that allows you to convert scans into editable texts
- Measures 10.86in x 1.97in x 1.45in
- Weighs 0.6 lb
- Comes with an 8G micro SD card, battery, USB cable, instruction manual, carrying bag, and calibration and cleaning sheets
- It is compact and lightweight, making it convenient to bring with you wherever you go.
- Set up is easy and, after you’ve gotten the knack of how to operate it, scanning is a breeze as well.
- It does a decent job in scanning photos and documents. The quality of the scans is good, especially with the help of the auto-correct tools for color, text enhancement, and alignment.
- It takes minimal time to scan a page, and the buttons are intuitive.
- Because it runs on batteries, you don’t have to bring a charging cable.
- For what it can do, it’s quite affordable.
- Without the micro SD card, it is non-functional.
- Being a freehand device, you might need to give it a little guidance.
- The first few scans may not come out right, but it’s nothing that some practice won’t fix. Without the feed feature, you need to learn the right way to pass the scanner over the photos or documents.
- While it scans both black and white and colored documents, you cannot set the scanning device to scan in black and white only, resulting in large files.
- It runs on AA batteries and cannot be charged through a USB power cord.
The MSRM iScan Wand portable document & image scanner is a well-designed, basic wand scanner. It is lightweight and compact, as well as convenient to use. The buttons are intuitive and provide you quick access to resolution and file format options.
A design tweak though is definitely in order for this wand scanner, especially with this portable device having to run on AA batteries. It would have been better if it came with a rechargeable lithium battery and that it could be charged with the help of a power cord while plugged into a computer.
As it is, the USB cord it comes with only facilitates the transfer of images and nothing more.
Additionally, it would have been great if this wand scanner comes with a WiFi feature much as some portable scanners do. In this day and age of multi-purpose and smart devices, certainly, such feature is welcome.
The quality of the scans is good, provided you have gotten the knack of how to run it over documents and photos correctly. Particularly challenging would be running it over a page of a thick book since it’s not even. But that is a challenge shared by all wand scanners.
A great thing working in favor of this wand is the built-in auto-correction tools, so you get clear, crisp, and aligned images or documents. Another one is the OCR software that allows you to convert images into texts for edits.
The MSRM iScan Wand portable document & image scanner is a bargain. For its price, you’ll be happy with the decent scans you get.
It doesn’t have to be seen as a big purchase to be made for serious users like salespersons or lawyers. For students who need to cut back on note-taking at the library, this is a handy tool.
The MSRM iScan Wand portable document & image scanner is an excellent choice for its class of inexpensive wand scanners. It’s in the same league as VuPoint Magic Wand ST-415.
It shares a lot of features with it, including the three-resolution choices and even the AA battery use. The Magic Wand though can scan documents as long as 98 inches; whereas the iScan Wand can only go up to 14 inches.
If you want a wand scanner with WiFi connectivity, the VuPoint Magic Wand PDSWF-ST47-VP will afford you that. But if you’re simply undecided about getting a sheet-fed or wand scanner, you don’t have to choose with the VuPoint Magic Wand PDSK-ST470-VP that comes with a removable auto-feed dock.
If you’re looking for a basic and inexpensive wand document and the image scanner, the MSRM iScan Wand Portable Document & Image Scanner may be a good fit for you—that is if you don’t mind using AA batteries or rechargeable batteries. If that’s a deal breaker and the price and scan quality are not enough to dissuade you, looking into other wand scanners is your best option.
And definitely, getting one with a WiFi feature allows you to take convenience with wand scanners to a whole new level.