A lot has changed since the time of the first computer. However, in terms of login security or just logging in, in general, there are not a lot of advances. For this reason, it is really a joy to see innovations such as fingerprint scanning technology, that will make our lives easier. At the same time, it gives us a peek of the well-developed future.
The PQI Mini USB Fingerprint Reader is a USB flash drive-looking device that is used to safeguard your computer or laptop against users, other than yourself or other authorized users. You need not use a keyboard to type in your password. All you have to do is to scan your registered finger, and it will do the rest.
In this article, we are going to review this fingerprint scanner. We are also going to list down its features, along with the advantages and disadvantages of using this device. Can this small device replace the bigger ones? We shall see.
In terms of looks, this USB flash drive is way smaller than the regular ones. At the same time, it is very lightweight that you can even wear it as a pendant necklace.
- It was designed for the operating system of Windows 7, 8, and 10.
- The set up only takes five steps.
- The sensor that it has is measured 4 x 10 mm. Only 8 x 8 x 16 mm are exposed when it is plugged into the port.
- Software prompt is also efficient as it does not take a lot of time, you can also unlock multi-files in one scan of your fingerprint.
- The algorithm behind the fingerprint scanning technology is hard to duplicate. Therefore, it can also detect fingerprints that are forged.
- You can encrypt up to 10 fingerprint IDs. In each ID account, you can also set up multiple fingerprints.
- This is also certified by the Fast Identity Online (FIDO) Alliance, which means that it meets the standards of the modern digital data when it comes to safety needs.
- Its total weight is 3.0 grams.
- It is very easy to set up. When you have Windows 10 Hello, it can even install automatically.
- The login is also very easy and fast to fulfill. Encrypting your fingerprint IDs is a breeze.
- It is very easy to store and extremely portable.
- For those who have Windows 10, you need not search for the required drivers as it will automatically download those.
- It is compatible with LastPass, just as long as you enroll your fingerprints with the PQI application.
- The sensor of the fingerprint scanner is very sensitive, so you need not firmly press your finger on the device.
- It works continuously even though you keep it plugged in for a long time.
- It is quite hard to install it with other Windows operating systems, such as Windows 7 and 8. You still have to find and download the required drivers.
- The Windows 7 and 8 are old operating systems, so updates are no longer available for these. Therefore, there is room for a lot of glitches.
- When you have dirty or wet fingers, it will not detect your fingerprint easily.
- After a lot of fingerprint scans, the sensor tends to weaken, to the point that it will not detect your encrypted fingerprint ID.
- Due to its compact size, it can easily break. Especially the frame near the fingerprint scanner, the material that was used there is flimsy.
Summary of the Features
The PQI Mini USB Fingerprint Reader is a very portable fingerprint scanner. It is a cut above the rest if we are going to judge it solely by its size. You can practically take it anywhere, and it is very easy to set up. At the same time, it is compatible with the operating systems of Windows 7, 8, and 10.
When you have Windows 10 Hello, the installation process is a breeze, because once you plug in the device, your computer or laptop will do the rest. However, if you have older operating systems, you have to search for the appropriate drivers, which you have to download for the device to work.
Its best feature is the fact that not a lot of its components are exposed once it is plugged into the computer. Further, the fingerprint scanner itself does not take too much space. People with huge fingers will most definitely find out that they cannot fit one whole finger on the scanner.
Comparison with the iDOO Mini USB Fingerprint Reader
The iDOO Mini USB Fingerprint Reader and the PQI Mini USB Fingerprint Reader have the same design and the same interface. However, the former falls short in terms of its software. Now, this is a huge problem because the software of the fingerprint scanner should be flawless since it is the only barrier between the computer and human access.
If you have software that has a lot of bugs, then how else will you unlock your computer or laptop? Type on your keyboard? If you do so, then why use a fingerprint scanner in the first place? These and more are the questions that you are going to ask yourself when you are using the iDOO Mini USB Fingerprint Reader since it still has a long way to go in terms of perfecting its software.
The PQI Mini USB Fingerprint Reader, on the other hand, has been tried and tested for a long time. Even though it is not perfect, it is still a functional and reliable fingerprint scanner. These two qualities are very important if you want to switch to a fingerprint scanning method when it comes to logging in to your computer and laptop.
The PQI Mini USB Fingerprint Reader is the best fingerprint scanner if you are going to use it as a backup. Its best feature, which is its size, eventually led to its downfall, which is durability. Do not get us wrong; it can still do its job. However, as time goes by, the device breaks down and will be useless.
This device will be perfect for those people who tend to not close their computers or laptops often because this means that the fingerprint reader will not be used often. Then again, if you are someone who will keep on scanning your fingerprint, five times or more, in a day, then this is not for you.