Home and business offices, whether small or large, will always have piles of documents since they are part of every transaction made. Such can include receipts, inventory sheets, tax files, business cards, contracts, and old records. Throwing them away is not always an option because they will be useful in the future and can serve as a reference.
Nevertheless, creating a digital copy of documents is a great solution not just because you will have fewer sheets of paper to store but also because they can be retrieved easily as well as secured from floods and insects.
However, scanning documents every single day is not very practical because of the electrical power consumed and the time spent. Also, there are times when things get busy in the office that there is not enough time to scan the documents filed on the same day or the other days.
With that in regard, it is essential to have a scanner that is reliable and fast even if multiple documents are scanned. The Canon imageFORMULA DR-M160II Document Scanner is one of the models that is marketed as such.
Canon imageFORMULA DR-M160II Document Scanner
Most of us, if not all, have already heard the Canon U.S.A., Inc. company or name for they have been around since 1955. They are known for manufacturing high-quality cameras, printers, scanners, and even technological items for healthcare facilities.
The imageFORMULA DR-M160II Document Scanner is one of their products that is bundled with a one-year warranty and an advanced exchange service offer.
- Color: Black with a white tray
- Size when the tray is closed: 9.09″ (H) x 11.02″ (W) x 9.76″ (D)
- Approximate Weight: 7.05 pounds
- It has a reliable roller system.
- Equipped with a LED control panel and light source
- Integrated with Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology
- Comes with drivers or software that are compatible with Windows and MAC operating systems
- Construction and design are compliant with ENERGY STAR, Eu RoHS, and WEEE guidelines
- Manual or automatic 60-sheet capacity document feeder
- Maximum scans in a day: 7,000 sheets
- Colored, black-and-white, and grayscale document scanning speed: 60 ppm (singlex); 120 ipm (duplex)
- Regular power consumption is at 27W and 1.8W at energy-saving mode
- Comes with a USB Cable, an AC adapter, a power cable for 120V outlet, CDs and DVDs, a reference guide, a warranty card, and an eCarePAK flyer
- Lightweight and space-saving
- Scan tasks are customizable and can be operated with just one touch
- Can be used to scan embossed cards, photos, and oversized documents (11 x 18 inches)
- Unclear letters or characters can be made into readable texts
- Shadows can be cropped and the background can be smoothen
- Auto-resolution setting for documents, cards, and photos that are run in the same batch
- Items scanned can be saved as images and PDF in the computer, Google Docs, Evernote, and a USB device that can be encrypted or protected with a password.
- Can scan and produce black-and-white, gray, and colored files
- Fast and multiple double- and one-sided scanning in one run
- Easy-to-access and maintain interior parts
- The product can scan without interruptions even when left unattended.
- There is an optional warranty extension offer.
- Energy efficient
- The price is somewhat expensive for some buyers.
- Wrinkled papers are jammed easily
- The scanner’s tray is short and might not be able to catch large documents efficiently.
The Totality of What the Product Can Offer
The Canon imageFORMULA DR-M160II Document Scanner is a compact and lightweight product that has been designed and constructed in an eco-friendly manner. It is capable of scanning 60 pages of thin, thick, short, and long sheets of paper per minute.
In addition, it can be used to work on 7,000 black-and-white, grayscaled, and colored paper documents, embossed cards, and photographs every single day. What is better is that you do not have to worry about electrical power consumption since it comes equipped with an energy-saving mode.
The scanned files that have been scanned can be saved in multiple locations and formats and can even be protected from unauthorized individuals with the help of a password or by encrypting the document.
Likewise, each scanned item can also have improved resolutions even if different types of docs are fed. Such is made possible by the product’s auto-resolution settings as well as its pre-configured scanning tasks that are customizable.
Although wrinkled documents have a tendency to get stuck on the roller, such part has been designed to work continuously when photos, cards, and papers are properly fed. Also, the product can be easily stopped or paused once paper jams occur. Likewise, since the interior parts are easy to access, any paper stuck can be removed without hassles.
On another note, the document tray can protect the scanner’s interior when not in use and will serve as a document catcher during scanning. Nonetheless, for large documents, someone should be around since the tray may not be able to catch it.
Comparison with Another Product
The Fujitsu fi-7160 Color Duplex Document Scanner is a product that can be compared with the Canon imageFORMULA DR-M160II Document Scanner because they belong in the same price range and have been manufactured by an established company.
This scanner also has the capacity to scan in colored, monochrome, and grayscale modes in a speed of 60 ppm or 120 ipm. Likewise, it can also be used for paper, embossed cards, and photos.
Although the document feeder of this scanner can hold 80 sheets at a time, it can only work efficiently at a maximum of 4,000 pages on a daily basis. It is also twice as heavy and large as the one from Canon. Hence, it is more applicable to offices that have enough room and do not need to scan a lot of items.
The Canon imageFORMULA DR-M160II Document Scanner is an energy-efficient, lightweight, user-friendly, easy-to-maintain, and space-saving product that is highly recommended for offices that need to keep, protect, and store a copy of a lot of documents, photos, and cards on a daily or weekly basis. With its high capacity, speed, and roller system quality, you will definitely save time and effort.
Nonetheless, you must always make sure that you feed it with items that do not have a lot of wrinkles as well as have the size that the product can hold.